We are excited to announce dramatic changes to our Middle School program for this coming Spring, to improve competition levels and competitive balance, and to align the program more closely with the FCIAC High School programs that the Middle School players will graduate into.
Most importantly, the Middle School program remains open to all players currently attending Middle School who are age-eligible for Babe Ruth Baseball (i.e., who were born prior to September 1, 2006), however, teams will no longer represent or be organized by their middle schools. Instead, there will be two travel "varsity" teams formed to play in the Spring "A" Division of the Greater Hudson Valley Baseball League. Players will try out for those two teams based on what public school district they live in (Stamford High School or Westhill High School), so each team will essentially become a feeder program for the high schools they are districted to attend.
Players who do not make one of the two varsity teams will also have an opportunity to be selected to play on a "JV" team which will also play in the Greater Hudson Valley Baseball League, in their Spring "B" Division. The JV team is open to all players regardless of school district.
Players who are not selected for one of those three teams will go into a pool of players and will be drafted onto balanced teams that will compete in the Fairfield County Babe Ruth Spring League.
The following is a general outline of the program:
- All players must register (at no cost) on our website prior to tryouts - REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
- Tryouts will be March 2nd & 9th (see below) - All registered players must attend a tryout
- Fees will be $400 per player for the GHVBL teams, and $250 per player for the Fairfield Babe Ruth teams
- First game will be March 29, regular season ends May 21. Playoffs will begin May 22 and end June 2
- Approximately a 12 game season plus playoffs
- Roster size 13 to 15
- Home fields will be: Cubeta/SHS/Belltown
In addition, this is some team-specific information for each team :
Stamford Knights :
- Players must live in the Stamford High School district
- Coaching Staff: Tom McIntosh and John Calo
- Tryouts will be March 2 and 9, from 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm in the Stamford High School Main Gym
- Players must live in the Westhill High School district
- Coaching Staff: Steve Rivera and Gary Ruth
- Tryouts will be March 2 and 9, from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 pm in the Stamford High School Main Gym
Stamford Warriors (JV):
- Players from both high school districts are eligible
- Manager: Tony Strazza (Coach of the 2017 Champions Rippowam MS) and Jeff Ronaghan
- Players will be selected based on the tryouts on March 2 and 9; there will not be a separate tryout for this team.
Anyone wishing to register for these tryouts must go online to our website and register . There is no cost to do so.